Nowadays, people are facing global warming situations because of indiscriminate felling of trees, pollution, usage of pesticides etc. In order to mitigate this problem, we should make a way to maximize our natural resources and also help our earth to get some relief from the pollution. Non-renewable energy is expensive and unsafe, but through the green building concept, we can save a lot of energy.
Green building (Definition: Also known as green construction, it is the practice of creating structures and using processes that are environmentally friendly or responsible and resource-efficient throughout a building’s life-cycle: from selecting the site to design, construction, operation, maintenance, renovation, and deconstruction).
The main goal of this is it lessens energy consumption and pollution because the more we use nonrenewable energy, the higher is the risk of pollution.
The growth and development of our communities has a large impact on our natural environment. The manufacturing, design, construction, and operation of the buildings that we live in and work are responsible for the consumption of many of our natural resources.
In the United States, buildings account for:
- 39% of total energy use
- 68% of total electricity consumption
- 30% of landfill waste
- 38% of carbon dioxide emissions
- 12% of total water consumption
- Enhance and protect biodiversity and ecosystems
- Improve air and water quality
- Reduce waste streams
- Conserve and restore natural resources
- Reduce operating costs
- Improve occupant productivity
- Enhance asset value and profits
- Optimize life-cycle economic performance
- Enhance occupant health and comfort
- Improve indoor air quality
- Minimize strain on local utility infrastructure
- Improve overall quality of life