Automakers are not interested to abandon their investments on internal combustion engines; even the US government is pushing auto manufacturers to make double the average fuel economy by the year 2025. They are turning towards electric and hybrid technologies to improve the fuel efficiency in gas cars. The electrical vehicles and the hybrids are developed to reduce the usage of the gasoline. To achieve this, the engineers are come up with efficiency in different technologies on several aspects. These are including new systems to conserve or create power, aerodynamic improvements, friction reduction, and weight reduction. By recognizing these vehicles improvements automakers are applying some of those improvements to traditional vehicles to achieve the national efficiency goals.
- Lightweight materials: The hybrid cars are building with lighter materials, it provides the advantage to get the gas mileage. If the car weight is heavy, it needs more energy, to generate energy it consumes more fuel. The light weighted cars needs lower energy and saves the fuel. The sports utility vehicles are weighing more and burns more fuel. The sports utility vehicles with hybrid option will give better gasoline mileage than gasoline burning versions. However, when compared with lightweight passenger cars, it is still low.
- Tires: Properly inflated tires will give good mileage for any vehicle. The hybrid cars also have the same principles. In addition to that, the hybrid vehicles tires are manufactured differently by using stiffer materials. The optimal tier pressure is higher in a hybrid car than a passenger car. It makes tire very efficient and conserve energy.
- Auto start and stop systems: Not to burn the fuel is the best way for better fuel economy. The auto start and stop system aid with that. The auto stop start system is a standard part of every hybrid car. When the engine is idle, the system shutdown the engine automatically. When the driver lifts off the clutch pedals or brake, or presses the accelerator engine immediately restarts. To do the job by start stop system in a hybrid car, lithium-ion or nickel metal hydride gives the power. These are large and expensive. Engineers make it to work on conventional vehicles with small lead acid batteries to get the fuel efficiency at lower cost.
- Regenerative braking system: Through the regenerative braking system, electric and hybrid cars make some energy. When the driver releases the throttle pressure or applies the brake pedal, the vehicle’s electric motor switch polarity and works as a generator. The hybrid vehicles use the power generated from regenerative braking system to run their electric motors.
There are even some other areas concentrated by the automakers to get the fuel economy on hybrid cars. Those are like reduce the drag by increasing aerodynamics, smaller gas tank, electrohydraulic brakes, etc.
In influencing a car buyer’s purchasing decision, the dealer plays a critical role with dealership’s website, test drive, and a look around the vehicle in the showroom, whatever the brand they are considering. According to the St Ives Group research, the social media interaction will plays a tiny part in winning buyers.
- Triggers: There are triggers that can influence consumers to purchase the car. The reasons are thus: 58% – desire for a new car, 46% – economic factors, 30% – change in situation, and seventeen percent – external factors. Males are more likely to buy without thinking further about future factors, while females are more likely to about for repair and other bills. Changes in circumstances are more likely to result in a car buying for younger consumers.
A simple desire for a new car and the repair bills are more likely to lead the buying decision for people those who are aged between 35 to 54. Only older females and younger males are the consumers concerned about economy while buying a car.
- Journey to the new car: On an average a buyer takes between two to eight weeks gap to work through the evaluation stage, which is regardless of type of car they buy. Value or low cost car buyers are do research before they come to the dealership, means they will visit the dealer to make the purchase. Mainstream car buyers are also similar to the low cost or value car buyers, these will make the purchase when visit the dealership but will take a few more steps. The premium buyers visit the dealership for hunting for a deal and seek validation for their choice.
According to content and social marketer at St Ives Group, the ultimate influencing role is of dealerships. Visiting dealerships’ website and the test driving are most important steps on the car buying journey influencing factors regardless of the customers are low cost or value or mainstream or premium. When users visit the dealership’s website the technical specifications are the most important. Throughout the purchasing process, social media plays a small role.
- Customer segmentation: The low cost or value car buyers make the decision with the price factor of how much they can spend. These will take a lot of time to make the decision and step by step. The average or mainstream car buyers are little different from the value car buyers. These will depend upon the word of mouth from their friends and other sources and use the internet for more details. More than 90% of mainstream buyers will take decision when they take test drive. The premium car buyers are different from the above two. These will check all the possible sources and visit the dealership in the buying journey.
Research shows that there is a small influence by the social media in the car buying process on all categories of consumers. It is a small part of source to take the decision to consumers. More >
Many people having diabetes know that it can be harmful for heart, kidneys, eyes, nerves and also other systems in the body. They seldom think that diabetes also has ill effects on oral health. People suffering from diabetes are at higher risk of oral problems. In this article, we will discuss the dental problems of people suffering from diabetes.
Impact of diabetes on oral health
For diabetic patients, key factor is to manage blood sugar level. High blood sugar level means high risk of following oral problems:
1) Tooth decay
The sticky layer that forms on the teeth especially on the gumline is called as plaque. The bacteria in the plaque chemically reacts with the sugar and starch in food that and forms acid. There is greater supply of sugars in people who are suffering from diabetes, thus more acid is formed by the bacteria that cause tooth decay.
2) Gum disease
Gum disease can progress to more severe condition known as periodontal disease (advanced stage of gum disease) in which the gum tissues and the bones that supports the teeth get affected. This can even lead to loss of tooth/teeth. This is more common in people who fail to control diabetes. Diabetic patients have low resistance to infections and healing capacity.
3) Dry mouth
There is a decrease in saliva flow in the people who are highly diabetic. This increases the risk of tooth decay and also gum disease. Saliva keeps killing the bacteria that cause tooth decay. Absence of saliva means that you are at high risk of developing cavities and gum infections. This can also affect speaking, chewing and also the ability to taste.
4) Fungal infections
A yeast infection often appears in the mouth. Some diabetic conditions like dry mouth, low resistance to infection and high level of glucose in saliva can lead to this condition.
Care and prevention
For preventing oral infections and complications, people who are suffering from diabetes should take care of their oral health in following ways:
- Managing diabetes: For managing diabetes, blood sugar levels should be monitored regularly to keep the levels in the safe range. Controlling blood sugar levels means diabetic patients are lower risk of developing teeth and gum problems.
- Maintaining good oral hygiene: Brushing and flossing regularly is the main part of cleaning process of the teeth. Brushing twice or even thrice a day is advised. Brushing helps in removing plaque – the sticky white film that forms on the teeth. Flossing should be done at least once a day that helps removes tiny left over food particles from between the teeth. The tiny food particles are responsible for plaque build up.
- Visiting dentist regularly: Dental professionals examine your teeth and review the changes in medication if required. Visiting the dentist regularly will help in detecting dental problems earlier. Such issues can be treated with simple dental procedures. Leaving the problem untreated can make the treatment more complex ultimately slow healing in diabetic patients.
- Looking for early signs of gum diseases: Look for the signs like swelling, redness and bleeding from gums. If any, report to the dentist. Also mention any other signs are shown like loose teeth, dry mouth or mouth pain.
Diabetes causes multiple oral heath issues. It is sensible to get checkups periodically. More >
People in Florida belong to different cultures, as they come from various places and different cultural background that make Florida a special state. If you are exploring the culture and lifestyle, there are many cultures from the native Americans to current residents of the Conch republic. Thus, the heritage and culture makes Florida a fantastic place to stay, visit and enjoy.
Religion of Florida
Around 40% of people in Florida are Protestants and there are some people who follow Roman Catholicism. There are Jewish communities, mostly located in south Florida. 20-30% of people are from different religions.
Language of Florida
Around 80% of residents of Florida speak English as first language, while some speak Spanish. Other languages include French, Italian, Portuguese, Arabic and Tagalog.
Florida has a rapidly growing population including retired people. In recent times, the economy of Florida is improving, since the national recession began in 2007, thus taking an upward turn.
Festivals of Florida
Calender of Florida is marked with many festivals that keep the people busy throughout the year. Many of these festivals are considered the biggest events of Florida. Some famous festivals include St. Augustine Nights Of Lights, Biketoberfest, Winter Park Sidewalk Art festival, Navarre beach Sand sculpting festival, Zora festival and many more.
Music and dance of Florida
Most famous music of Florida are Miami Bass and Florida Break. Miami Bass is a hip hop music and was developed in 1980s. Florida Break is popular in the areas of Tampa Bay and Orlando. It is a kind of break beat music. It is also called Tampa Breaks. Other music includes Latin Pop, Floridian Rap, Rock and many more. Some of the famous dances include salsa, tango, belly dancing, etc.
Food of Florida
Florida is the citrus capital of the world. There is an abundance of oranges and grapefruits throughout the year. Moreover, Florida is also known as ‘Orange State’. Famous food also include Stone crabs, Key lime pie, Conch fritters and more. More >
With many beaches and other attractive places, Florida has become one of the popular destinations for tourists. There are many things to know about Florida. Following are some facts on Florida :
- Florida is a constituent state of the United States.
- Juan Ponce de Leon from France discovered this state and named it as Florida, which means ‘Feast of flowers’.
- Tallahassee is the capital of Florida.
- After Texas, New york and California, Florida comes on fourth place in terms of population.
- Jacksonville, Tampa and Miami in Florida are the largest cities.
- Haines city is referred as heart of Florida, as it is located in the center of the state.
- One of the important natural resources of Florida is its climate that is usually warm and sunny. It is for this reason that Florida is called the Sun Shine State. 650F – 770F is the average temperature of Florida.
- Sun tan cream was first made in Florida by a Benjamin pharmacist in 1994.
September and October are the peak hurricane months. Yearly, almost 40% of hurricanes hit Florida.
- Florida has more than 1000 golf courses, thus professional golfers call this state as their home.
There are 663 miles of beaches and 11,000 – 12,000 miles of rivers, waterways and streams in Florida.
- Florida is famous for tourist spots like South beach, Palm beach, Walt Disney world, Miami Science Museum, Jungle Island, etc.
- Near the Tallahassee city, Wakulla Springs is located, a freshwater spring, one of the deepest in the world.
- The largest lake in Florida is Okeechobee lake.
- Florida gets the highest rate of lightening strikes, it causes an average of 10 deaths and 30 injuries annually.
- ‘In God We Trust’ is the state’s motto.
- Florida is popular for oranges and grape fruit.
Do you know about exempt employee? Your small business may need them to run a successful business. According to Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) an employer has the right to make their exempt employees work for any amount of time and at any schedule. Because you may need them at any moment to complete a task or project. In this article, we will discuss about exempt employees, non-exempt employees and their rights and duties. And a case study on how exempt employees have driven success to their business.
What is the difference between non-exempt and exempt employees?
- Non-exempt employees: Employees get paid in the form of wages for all the hours they have worked and also get paid for overtime.
- Rights of non-exempt employees: Under FLSA, these employees are entitled for overtime pay for all the hours they have worked. They get 1½ the regular rate of pay over 40 hours in a workweek.
- Duties of non-exempt employees: Generally these employees are manual laborers or blue collar workers who perform repetitive physical operations like driving vehicles, sweeping floors, checking and repairing the equipments, typing, filling, cashier work, maintenance work, delivering merchandise, etc.
- Exempt employees: Employees get paid on salary basis which is not less than $455 per week. But they are not entitled for overtime pay.
- Rights of exempt employees: Under the FLSA, there is no limitations on amount of work time an employer can expect from employees whenever there is any requirements, i.e. mandatory overtime is not restricted. Exempt employees are entitled to receive the full amount of the basic salary in any work period for the work done.
- Duties of exempt employees: Employees have the freedom to take independent decisions for performing duties such as hiring, firing employees, assessing employee performance, determining credit policies, etc.
Two tests that exempt employee should meet
- Salary test: Exempt employees should not be paid less than $23,600 per year ($455 per week) on a salary basis.
- Duties test: Exempt employees should perform exempt duties.
Common exempt employees are
- White collar employees – Executives, administrative, professional and outside sales employees.
- Certain retail and service industry salesperson who work on commission basis.
- Certain government employees (elected officials and their appointees, state and local legislative employees).
|Highly compensated employees||Annual compensation is $100,000 or more. Compensation includes at least $455 per week on salary basis.||Perform office or non-manual work.|
|Executive exemptions||Compensated on a salary basis at a rate not less than $455 per week.||This employee’s primary duty is management of the organization or its department or subdivision. And he/she has the authority of hiring, firing, promoting or any other change status of the employees.|
|Administrative exemptions||Compensated on a salary basis at a rate not less than $455 per week.||This employee’s primary duty is to perform office or non-manual work related to management or business customers.|
|Professional exemption||Compensated on a salary basis at a rate not less than $455 per week.||Two types of professional exemptions:
This employee must have advanced knowledge in the field of science or learning acquired by a prolonged course of specialized intellectual instructions.
The primary duty must be the performance of work which requires invention, imagination, originality or talent in a recognized field of artistic or creative endeavor.
|Computer employee exemption||Either compensated on a salary basis at a rate not less than $455 per week or if compensated on an hourly basis at a rate not less than $27.63 an hour.||This employee primary duty includes:
Case study of “how ‘Amgen’ company used their exempt employees to beat up the approval from FDA “
In 1987, two bio-tech companies were trying to get FDA approval for their product. Genentech is the one such company who approached the FDA for the approval of its new drug called t-PA (Activase). Upto that point, there was no such drug that was listed in the history which dissolves clots in heart attack patients. On the day of meeting, committee asked for more information on the t-PA prolonged life. At that time, Genentech had access to all the information to convince the FDA, but it was not readily available. After 6 months they got approval from FDA. But it was too late to reach, as 10 other companies got into race.
The other bio tech company is ‘Amgen’ racing at the same time for its product EPO. At that moment, their science was done, trials were done, product was ready and clock was ticking. Then Amgen’s people turned themselves into “Simi Valley Hostages” and worked for 93 days continuously forgetting their personal life and finally they prepared 19,578 page-document and ultimately they got the approval from FDA. Amgen took up this challenge and won the race whereas Genentech lost. More >
Website visitors are impatient.If the page loading time is high automatically the visitor look for another website. They may not come back to the same website. Therefore, improving website speed is important to retain visitors, to retain the position in search engine ranking. Google’s search engine algorithm takes into account the speed of a website while ranking. This article discusses important tips to load a website faster.
- Check current speed: First, check current speed of the website. It will help to track the worth of improvements done to the site. Based on the results can make the changes further and gives the clarity which improvements will give good page loading times. To check the page loading times there are many open source tools and browser add-ons for different browsers are available at no cost.
- Image scale and optimization: If the image size is larger than you want, use image tools to make the re-size image to required size. If the image is needed in the same size convert to another format. Different formats of images are available at present. If the image is converted from one format to another, it will dramatically change the size. First, know the format basic purpose and based on the relevance to the website content add to the page.
- GIF: GIF format will support a range of 256 colors. It is a bit mapped image format. For web graphics, logos, for small images, transparency and animation GIF is most commonly used format as well it is the ideal choice.
- JPEG: JPEG allows to compress large images to smaller size than in any other format. The image quality is also not impaired because of, it allows the right size and quality of image. JPEG uses lossy compression algorithm for this purpose.
- PNG: When high quality and transparent images are needed, PNG is the best choice.
- Put the stylesheet reference at the top or in head it will help you give a feel that the page loading faster.
- If you put the script at top it will block all other components of the page and feels loading slowly because the browser can download two components at a time from a host.
Once you make the changes, recheck website speed. If the results are shown for any pages have no improvement analyze where the page is taking more time to load and make the changes there. More >
HVAC is a complex system of heating, ventilating and air conditioning. This system unites several components which cool and heat the room. Dual duty is performed by components such as ventilation systems and heating pumps for both air conditioning and heating. Many home owners rely on this system as the heating or cooling continues until it reaches the temperature you have set. It is the thermostat that senses the temperature setting. Let us discuss briefly about how HVAC system works:
- Air Conditioning system
In HVAC system, air conditioning is the most utilized unit. The function of the air conditioner is very effective in the HVAC system and it has the capacity to cool large areas. It simply lowers the temperature by a unique process. It takes away heat and moisture from the air thereby passing it over the cool coils known as evaporator coil then blowing out cool and conditioned air. Then a special chemical called refrigerant travels to the coils and the liquid is changed to gas. Finally cool air is blown by a fan through ventilation system that gives out conditioned air.
- Ventilation system
An important role in air conditioning and heating process is played by ventilation systems. If there is any problem or any blockage in the duct work, functioning of the system is greatly affected. The ventilation system comprises of number of vents, registers and a duct work. Air conditioned air and heated air passes through this system. As the entire function of HVAC depends on ventilation system, it is important for the home owners to check and ensure it is in a good working condition. Unblocked and a clean duct work leads to effective performance of the entire system.
- Heating systems
The operation of heating system is almost similar to air conditioning system. The cool air from indoor is taken away, warmed by heating pipes and finally blown. Heat pumps are energy efficient as energy consumed in this process is less when compared with the amount of heat produced by it. Heat produced by heating pipes is thrice the times energy consumed by it.
Air conditioner, heater, ventilation components altogether forms a complex HVAC system. They are appropriate for large houses, residential or commercial building purpose. HVAC systems are best suited for the countries where the climate is extremely hot or extremely cold. Many people are unaware of this system and is less appreciated because of its complex system. More >
Assessing and selecting a candidate for the job is a complex process, as any negligence or weak assessment can cause hiring of candidates who are not suitable for the job profile. Consider the following things while assessing a candidate for the job:
Assessing the candidate based on performance and competence
Consider assessing the candidate based on the results of past performance and behavior. Also assess about the competence for the position that is targeted. This can be done with the help of interview guides and other assessment methods such as presentations, panel interviews, etc. For instance, an applicant is made to look at the case study and is asked to explain what he/she will do about this case. Or he/ she will be asked to perform some job functions for showing their level of competence. When functional assessment is done, be sure that you treat all the candidates equally to avoid discrimination claim.
Assessing the candidate based on behavior
Assessing of behavior is done to find out actual behavior of the candidates rather than the words they speak and the interviewer’s feeling about them. Following are some tips on assessing the behavior of the candidate:
- Make sure that you ask questions about candidate past work instead of telling them what they have to do. Knowing about the past work can get best results about the behavior of the employee.
- Simple traits and statement of future actions are not focused in the interviews for the employees that are behavior based.
- The behavior that is noted during assessment should be observable and verifiable. It should be something that is visible and can be checked out.
Assessment of candidate based on soft skills
Assessing the candidate’s soft skills is essential. Soft skills involve the following:
- Body language: Some attention should be paid to the unspoken language that is body language. It helps in determining the confidence level of the candidate. It helps you to make out whether the candidate is prepared with standard response or they take it very easy. The way the candidate is sitting, standing or moving is the body language that should be given attention. This can be the best ways for assessing any candidate when interviewing.
- Verbiage: This involves listening the way the candidate is answering or telling a story. Many interviewers do not pay attention to the tense ( past or present ) when the candidate is speaking. The candidates who has experience of work talk in past tense whereas inexperienced candidates may talk in present achievements.
These are the simple things that tells so much to the recruiter. Be sure to pay attention to these things during the interview, it improves the quality of hiring. More >
When you are thinking about to launch a mobile presence for your auto dealership’s website, the options are either through an app (or application) or the website for the mobile. Before evaluating the pros and cons for mobile apps and mobile website, it is better to understand the differences between these two.
Both mobile website and mobile apps are used by the smartphones. The mobile website is redesigned the actual website to access in the mobile phones. These are having additional facilities like click to call. With the help of browser the user can browse the website when he or she has an internet connection. The mobile application has to be downloaded from the stores like Android, Apple, Blackberry, etc. The app either uses the Internet connection and get the data from a server or it downloads the data at the beginning and it can be use. Lets see which one is suitable for an auto dealership business website.
- Offline use and data connectivity: In the mobile application, the data is downloaded and stored. It can be used for offline browsing. Even in the browser the user can save the data and can use it even if he does not have Internet connection.
- Search engine optimization: The search engine optimization for a mobile website can be done. The SEO for mobile website helps to more accurate target to the local are people. But in case of mobile app there is no need to do any search engine optimization. Because the user directly enters into the dealership’s website or other service and accesses the data.
- Maintenance and updates: The mobile website update and maintenance is as same as a traditional website. You have to update the website in the server. When it comes to an app, you need an approval from the marketplace (ex: Google play). As well the application will not build for only one platform. So you need to update them all. Even a minor change takes a lot of time and resources.
- Audience reach: A mobile website can be viewable by any mobile user who have a browser and Internet connection to his phone, regardless of operating system, mobile hardware requirements, model, etc. In case of app, it is only to a specific people those who are installed the app. The apps are mostly used in the smartphones only. The mobile websites can view even with traditional phones.
- Budget: Generally application development will need more budget than to develop a website. Because the website is build one time only. When it comes to an app, you need to build for each operating type and sometimes based on the mobile models also.
Mobile apps will give more interaction to the user than the website, but both have its own advantages. If you have a good budget and patience to update and maintenance of applications for your dealership, you can develop the app, otherwise try for a mobile website. More >