With many beaches and other attractive places, Florida has become one of the popular destinations for tourists. There are many things to know about Florida. Following are some facts on Florida :
- Florida is a constituent state of the United States.
- Juan Ponce de Leon from France discovered this state and named it as Florida, which means ‘Feast of flowers’.
- Tallahassee is the capital of Florida.
- After Texas, New york and California, Florida comes on fourth place in terms of population.
- Jacksonville, Tampa and Miami in Florida are the largest cities.
- Haines city is referred as heart of Florida, as it is located in the center of the state.
- One of the important natural resources of Florida is its climate that is usually warm and sunny. It is for this reason that Florida is called the Sun Shine State. 650F – 770F is the average temperature of Florida.
- Sun tan cream was first made in Florida by a Benjamin pharmacist in 1994.
September and October are the peak hurricane months. Yearly, almost 40% of hurricanes hit Florida.
- Florida has more than 1000 golf courses, thus professional golfers call this state as their home.
There are 663 miles of beaches and 11,000 – 12,000 miles of rivers, waterways and streams in Florida.
- Florida is famous for tourist spots like South beach, Palm beach, Walt Disney world, Miami Science Museum, Jungle Island, etc.
- Near the Tallahassee city, Wakulla Springs is located, a freshwater spring, one of the deepest in the world.
- The largest lake in Florida is Okeechobee lake.
- Florida gets the highest rate of lightening strikes, it causes an average of 10 deaths and 30 injuries annually.
- ‘In God We Trust’ is the state’s motto.
- Florida is popular for oranges and grape fruit.