Bonita Springs is a city in Lee County, Florida, United States. Known as The Gateway to the Gulf, it is home to most beautiful beaches and islands along the Gulf of Mexico. Enjoy Bonita Springs the amenities it provides including art museums/galleries. The word “Bonita” means beautiful in Spanish. It is known for its natural beauty and is an attractive destination for tourists and that is what has made it very popular.
- Total Population statistics in 2010: 43,914
- Dominant race: White
- The most common language spoken in Bonita Springs is English. Some people also speak Spanish
- Total area covered: The city has a total area of 41.0 square miles, 35.3 square miles of it is land and 5.7 square miles is water.
- Probability of natural disasters: Chances of tornadoes and earth quakes.
- Beaches: Bonita Beach Park, Barefoot Beach, Little Hickory Island Beach Park and there are also 10 beaches located nearby Bonita Beach.
- Creeks: Survey creek, Spring creek and Cedar creek.
- The city experiences tropical climate, with very hot and humid summers, and cooler winters. January has an average temperature of 53 degrees Fahrenheit and July is low with 73 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The spring and fall months are the best time to visit the place.
History & Culture
- In 1870’s the government surveyors had a camp in a remote part of Southwest Florida. After the crew members left, the site was known as Survey. In the late 1880’s, Braxton B. Comer bought 6000 acres of land around Survey and after few years the Survey was developed into a community.
- Bonita Springs was incorporated for the first time in 1925. In 1999, Bonita Springs was incorporated for the second time.
- Median household income: $59,086
- Cost of living index in Bonita Springs: 94.3
- Unemployment rate in 2012: 6.9%
- Most common industry is construction.
- Tourism, retail and service industries are also part of the economy
- Most common occupation is sales and offices workers, service providers and construction workers and builders
- Bonita Springs real estate is one of the most expensive in Florida
- Bonita Springs is famous for fishing destination
- Bonita Springs is the corporate headquarters for Source Interlink, a major magazine publisher and DVD distributor
- Tourist attractions: Bonito Beach park, Barefoot Beach Preserve Park, Art League of Bonita Springs, Little Hickory Island Beach Park, Flamingo Island Flea Market, Riverside Park, Bonito Springs Nature Place and many more
Few quick facts you need to know when you are traveling to this city:
- Common mode of transportation: many people drive their own car to work, while others carpool
- Zip codes: 34133, 34134, 34134, 34136
- Bonita Springs has a crime rate of 21 per 1,000 residents. It has a crime rate that is lower than the state average. This means, of the cities across the United States, Bonita Springs is safer.
- Nearest cities: Cape Coral, Kendale Lakes-Lindgren Acres, Three Oars and Estero.
- The Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) is a 20 minute drive from Bonita Springs.
- Mass Transportation: Lee County Transit Department provides bus service under the name “LeeTran”.
- Hotels: Homewood suites by Hilton, Hyatt Coconut Plantation, Flamingo Motel, Trianon Bonita Bay, Comfort Inn and Holiday Inn Express.