Fast Facts of Modesto, California
Modesto is the county seat of Stanislaus County, California, in the U.S. It is nestled between the Sierra Nevada’s and the Bay Area. Modesto is the 16th largest city in California. Known for its dedication to horticulture, it is also rich agricultural heritage. Modesto is a 29-time honoree of the “Tree City USA” title. It is the cultural hub of the Central Valley.
- Total Population statistics: 201,165 according to the 2010 U.S. census.
- Dominant race: White followed by Hispanic or Latino.
- Languages spoken: English and Spanish.
- The city has a total area of 93.1 km. 92.7 km of it is land and 0.4 km is water.
- Probability of natural disasters: Earthquake, flood, dam failure, wild fires and landslides.
- Modesto is located on the Tuolumne River. San Joaquin Valley is one of the greatest agricultural areas. San Francisco Bay Area, a 90-mile drive from Modesto lies on the west of the valley and over the coastal mountain range.
- Modesto experiences generally winters are cool and summers are very hot and dry.
- January is the coolest and July is the hottest month.
- Best time to visit the city is the months of May and June.
History & Culture
- Modesto was founded in 1870, with the coming of railroad stop connecting Sacramento to Los Angeles.
- Modesto was actually to be named after William C. Ralston who was a financier of many projects in California. However, he declined the suggestion and thus, the town was named Modesto.
- Modesto was named after the Spanish word “Muy modesto” which means very modest.
- Modesto was incorporated in 1884.
- Cultural festivals: Street Vibrations Fall Rally, International Heritage Festival, The Xclamation Festival (X-Fest), Modesto Blues Festival, Eldorado Great Italian Festival and is also famous for Halloween events.
- The city’s official slogan is “Water Wealth Contentment Health,” which means the city is dedicated to growth, progress and the quality of community life.
- Median household income as of 2010: $50,877
- Median family income: $58,840
- Cost of living index: 94.3
- Unemployment rate: 15.1%
- Most common occupation: Management, educational services and sales.
- Most common industries: Construction, accommodation and food services.
- Modesto is well-known for growing wine grapes. It is on the leading makers of best wine in U.S. E & J Gallo Winery is the second largest wine company in the world. Some well-known wineries are Ecco Domani Winery, Carlo Rossi Winery, Franzia Winery, Silkwood Wine and Mirrasou Vineyards.
- Modesto is also famous for agricultural and food manufacturing. It produces many crops, including dairy, cattle, poultry, walnuts and almonds. Some of the major industries are Signature Fruit Company, Del Monte Foods, Blue Diamond Almond, Foster Farms, Foster Farms Dairy, Frito-Lay, and California Fruit and Tomato Kitchens.
- Modesto is home to the Modesto Nuts a minor league baseball team. They are a High-A California League team.
- Tourist places: McHenry Mansion, McHenry Museum, Blue Diamond Nut and Gift Shop in Salida (north Modesto), George Lucas Plaza, Gallo Center for the Arts, Modesto Arch and McClatchy Square.
Quick facts you need to know when you are traveling to this city:
- Common mode of transportation: Many people drive their own car alone to work, while some carpool and others take public transportation.
- Zip code: 95350, 95351, 95352, 95353, 95354, 95356, 95357, 95358.
- Crime rate: Burglaries, thefts, auto thefts and assault is high in Modesto.
- Nearest airport: Modesto City-County Airport lies next to the Tuolumne River in the southeastern end of the city.
- Train services: Amtrak station is for Modesto Area Express (MAX), Stanislaus Regional Transit (StaRT), and the San Joaquin Regional Transit District along the northern edge of the city on McHenry Avenue.
- Bus services: Greyhound provides bus service in and out of Modesto.
- Major cities: Stockton, Bystrom, Bret Harte and Empire.
- Hotels: Courtyard by Marriott, Comfort Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites, Super 8, Days Inn, Apex Inn, America’s best value Inn, Knights Inn, etc.