San Luis Obispo is a city in California, located midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco on the Central Coast. It was founded in 1772 by Fr. Junipero Serra, a Spanish San Luis Obispo, one of California’s oldest communities. Locally, the city is referred to as San Luis or SLO, is the county seat of San Luis Obispo County. It is surrounded by green, pristine mountain ranges and is inhabited by a mix of college kids attending California Polytechnic University, big-city transplants, and agricultural folk. The City of San Luis Obispo serves as the commercial, governmental and cultural hub of California’s Central Coast.
- Earliest human inhabitants of this city are the Chumash.
- In 1769, the city was rechristened as llano DE los Osos by expedition’s diarist, Padre Juan Crespí, when the Gaspar de Portola traveled through this area on his way to rediscover the Monterrey Bay.
- One of California’s oldest communities, it began with the founding of Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa in 1772 by Father Junípero Serra as the fifth mission in the California chain of 21 missions. The mission was named after Saint Louis, a 13th Century Bishop of Toulouse, France. (San Luis Obispo is Spanish for “St. Louis, the Bishop”.) It was first incorporated in 1856 as a General Law City, and became a Charter City in 1876.
- Some popular neighborhoods near San Luis Obispo city include Adelaide, Arroyo Trailer Park, Asuncion, Avila Beach, Bay wood Park, Bee Rock, California Valley, East Village, Gold tree, Happy Hill, Hathaway Place, Leimert, Linne, Lodge Hill, Marine Terrace, San Lawrence Terrace, Serrano, Todd Place, Wilson Corner.
- According to the 2010 United States Census, San Luis Obispo had a population of 45,119.
- About 84.5% of the population is White people, 1.2% are African American people, 0.6% are Native Americans, 5.2% are Asian, 0.1% are Pacific Islander, 4.4% are from other races, and 4.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race was 14.7%.
- San Luis Obispo County’s is based on post-industrial economy (service economy) that accrues services including government, finance, insurance, and real estate sectors, and shopping centers.
Geography and climate:
- San Luis Obispo lies on the West Coast of the United States and in the Central Coast of California. The Pacific Ocean is only about 11 miles (18 km) west of San Luis Obispo. The Santa Lucia Mountains lie just east of San Luis Obispo.
- San Luis Obispo city experiences a cool Mediterranean climate. On average it has 50 days with measurable rain per year – mostly during winter months.
Temperatures vary widely at any time of the year, with 80 °F (27°C) readings in January and February being not uncommon.
- You can spend your day in this city by exploring miles of white, sandy beaches, browsing through unique stores and museums, wine tasting or hiking or bicycling in and around the rolling hills – the choices are endless.
- Discount Travel Club, Conservation Corps State Museum, museum for children, Avila Valley Inn Bed & Breakfast, Johnson Park, San Luis Obispo Baseball Stadium, Santa Rosa Park, shopping centers are some of the popular centers of tourist attractions.