For many people, learning computer programming seems to be a difficult process. But it is a skill that can be learned by anyone, with little patience and hard work.
Below are some tips which can be helpful in improving your programming skills:
- First thing is to write down what the end product needs to achieve. Having clarity about the final product at this stage will save a lot of time down the line.
- Next is to write an implementation plan. This will be very helpful for large projects as it helps to break it into modules and consider what job each module must do, how data gets passed between modules, and within each module how it will function.
- Whenever you feel your code needs some explanation, add some comments and each function should be preceded by 1-2 lines describing the arguments and what it returns.
- Use naming conventions for variables, as it helps to keep track of what type the variable is and also what it’s purpose is.
- Organize the code by putting spaces between a variable name and an operator such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and even the equal sign. Make the code visually elegant as it makes much easier to see the program flow.
- Start testing the code with inputs and this process will remove any hidden bugs. You can improve your testing skills by doing lot of practice.
- Be ready for the changes in the requirement at any stage of the software development, if you are clear regarding the requirements at the starting point there are less chances of changes in the requirements.
- When working for a complex projects, start with the simple things and later go to the building of complex blocks. This approach is very useful for code reuse and it helps for easier debugging and maintenance.
The above are the tips, by following which you can improve your programming skills.