Most people opt for dental implants as a way to replace their missing teeth though they are expensive. It is a permanent solution for teeth loss. However, after the dental implant surgery, a dentist advises you to take proper care for the implants. This can help you avoid any future problems and further costs associated with them. The success rate of dental implant also depends on the aftercare. Here are some ways to take care of the implants after the surgery.
- Immediately after the surgery, you need to keep ice at the area of surgery. It provides you comfort and also reduces swelling.
- The area is soothed with a warm towel instead of an ice pack after 48 hours of implantation.
- You should avoid using excessive pressure while eating till the first two weeks. Only soft and nutritious food has to be taken.
- Avoid pushing the tongue near the implants as it causes irritation.
- Use the medication including antibiotics and pain killers regularly till the prescribed time period.
- You should also avoid smoking and alcohol consumption for at least two weeks after the implantation. Otherwise, they affect the healing process and may give rise to further problems.
- Leave the dressing at the surgery area for two weeks.
- You can start brushing the implant area lightly after two weeks. Certain cleaning aids prescribed by dentists should be used for brushing.
- Normal cleaning can be resumed from the third week of the implantation. Brushing the teeth at least twice a day is necessary. Otherwise it may affect the success rate of the implants.
Following these guideline is essential for maintaining the implant. This can enhance the proper health of your teeth or implant.