Translation is the method of converting a source version (generally English) of software, documentation, multimedia, or web material to a target-language version (any language) by rewriting the words from one language to another.
Few activities involved in translation process are:
- Reading complete original material and editing it in the target language, making sure that the meaning of the source text is preserved.
- Utilizing specialist dictionaries, thesauruses and reference books to identify the nearest substitutes for terminology and words utilized.
- Making use of correct software for presentation and delivery.
- Studying legal, technical and scientific phraseology to identify the appropriate translation.
- Communicating with clients to discuss regarding any confused points.
- Proofreading and prepare final translated text.
- Offering clients with a grammatically accurate, meaningful final version of translated material, generally like a word-processed document.
- Utilizing the Internet and email like a research tools in the complete translation process.
- Prioritizing work in order to meet deadlines.
- Giving quotations for translation services provided.
- Discussing with experts in specialist areas.
- Providing subtitles for foreign films and television programmes.
- Maintaining and developing specialist knowledge on specialist sections of translation.
- Networking and making contacts.