San Diego is the eighth-largest city in the United States and second-largest city in California State. The city is located in Southern California, adjacent to the Mexican border which is on the coast of the San Diego is an ideal place whether to live, to work or to do the business because of the robust economy, ethnic diversity, great educational institutions. It is also known for its natural deep-water harbor.
The city of San Diego was founded in 1769 and included European (Spain) settlements. Mexico got independence from Spain in 1821 and San Diego became part of it. However, after the Mexican-American war, the city went to the United States in 1850.
Community and Neighborhoods
Some popular communities and neighborhoods of San Diego include Hill Crest, North Park, City Heights, Mission Valley, Little Italy, La Jolla, Del Mar Heights, Chula Vista, Coronado, Point Loma, Claire-mount and Mira Mesa.
- San Diego has a population of more than 1.37 million and is the second largest city in California and the eight largest cities in the United States.
- About 44.5% of the population is White people, 28.3% are Hispanic, 16% are Asian and Pacific Islanders, 6.9% are Blacks, 0.4% is American Indians and 4% constitute others.
- It is culturally diverse and there are more than 100 languages spoken by residents of the city who have come from various parts of the world.
The economic base for San Diego includes military (US Navy and Marine Corps), tourism (hotels, motels, amusement parks, museums, beaches and bays), international trade (logistics, warehousing, Otay Mesa Port-of-Entry and distribution), and manufacturing (Bio-tech & Medical Devices, Defense and Security Systems, Electronics and Telecommunications, software and web development, food and beverage production, and clean tech including solar panels, bio panels, bio fuels, and clean gas technology) sectors.
Geography and Climate
- San Diego lies in the southwest corner of California, 120 miles (193 km) south of the city of Los Angeles and 20 miles (32 Km) north of Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico. Elevation ranges from sea level to 1,591 feet.
- It is bordered by Mexico, the Pacific Ocean, the Anza-Borrego Desert and the Laguna Mountains.
- The city has a gentle Mediterranean climate with beautiful weather throughout the year with an average daily temperature of 70.5 °F (21.4 degrees Celsius).
- The city is a wonderful vacation gateway with stunning beaches, world-renowned golf courses, museums, theaters and restaurants.
- The popular ones include downtown San Diego, Old Town, the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, Sea world San Diego, Pacific Beach, La Jolla.
- The Down Town San Diego referred to as the center city and includes Gas-lamp Quarters which is a home for events and festivals. Balboa Theater is another attraction in the down town.
- The San Diego Zoo in Balboa Park with pandas and gorilla tropics and a large number of animal species is a wonderful location to be seen.
- The city has a Sea world San Diego having an animal theme park, oceanarium and marine mammal park.
- San Diego includes hilly-side resorts like La Jolla which are beautiful vacation spots.