Situated in Oakland County of Michigan state, South-Filed is a suburb of Detroit that lies directly northwest and adjacent to the city of Detroit. Known as the “International City” or ”commercial center”, it is famous for the South-field Town Center, a skyscraper office park located in the south-central part of the city. The city is home to corporate headquarters of notable companies such as Federal-Mogul, Electronic Data Systems, Denso and Lear Corporation. A huge number of Fortune 500 companies have office space in the city.
Most people are seen on roads because many commuters work in the city’s huge number of offices. It is a modern city with skyscrapers but it also features numerous tree-lined neighborhoods. South-field has a large number of hotels, industrial parks, recognized public schools and is popular for conventions and conferences. The Rogue River flows through the town.
- The original settlers came from Birmingham and Royal Oak Michigan as well as from New York, and Vermont.
- John Daniels established this city in 1823. This city was named as South-Fields because it is located in the “south fields” of Bloomfield Township.
- In 1950’s to 1990, the city experienced significant growth of population because citizens of Detroit are choosing to move to suburban areas.
- In the early 1990’s, a large number of middle-class African Americans settled in South-field.
- Some popular neighborhoods are Berkeley, Beverly Hills, Bloomfield Township, Claw-son, Detroit, Franklin, Highland Park, Livonia Park, Madison Heights, Oak Park, Redford, Royal Oak, and South field, Troy, West Bloomfield Township and Many More.
- As of the 2010 census, South-field had a population of 71,739 people in the city.
- About 70.30% of the population is African American, 24.92% are White, 1.72% is Asian, 0.20% is Native American, 0.03% is Pacific Islander, 0.64% is from other races, and 2.99% from two or more races. 1.33% of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race.
- South-field is home to over 780 acres of parkland and a nationally recognized public school district.
- It is a commercial and business center for the metropolitan Detroit area, and known as central business district. This city is has major offices and headquarters including the North American headquarters of Denso, Peterson Spring, Federal-Mogul, Lear, R.L. Polk & Co. International Automotive Components, and Online Trading Academy. Today, more than 100 Fortune 500 companies have offices in South-field.
- The economic base of this city is attributed to these companies, various industries such as automotive, rolled steel, and tubular products. And also from the North-land center.
- According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 26.2 square miles. The River Rouge runs through South-field. The city is bounded to the south by Eight Mile Road, its western border is Inkster Road, and to the east it is bounded by Greenfield Road. South-field’s northern border does not follow a single road, but lies approximately around Thirteen Mile Road. The city is bordered by Detroit and Redford Township to the south, Farming-ton Hills to the west, Franklin, and Beverly Hills to the north and Royal Oak, Berkeley and Oak Park to the east.
The Parks and Recreation Department, Park West Gallery, Mad-mine Mike, Bally Total Fitness, Art by Charles Ezra Ferrell, Catalpa Oaks County Park, Joe Cornell Entertainment, Detroit NW North-land Park, Holocaust Memorial Center Zekelman Family Campus, Motown historical museum, Lightning Speedway, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Plum Hollow Golf Club, are some of the tourist attractions in South-Field city of Michigan.